These were the subjects of our field trip today. We actually had our October and November field trips both scheduled for this week, so it made for a busy week.
Today we traveled North to visit a family-owned bison ranch. First, we learned facts about the bison, then the girls each made a Native American craft -- they drew Indian signs on a piece of wood, tied on some twine, and ended up with a necklace as a souvenir.
After that we went on an open-aired, covered-wagon ride out into the field where the buffalo roam. We were able to feed the buffalo corn pellets (some even by hand -- this particular one is a calf).
These animals are HUGE when you are that close to them! Even though these mammals appear to be big and awkward, they are actually very athletic and quick movers. I was surprised when a bull quickly raised his head to receive what I held in my hand. I dropped the pellet into his mouth, but not before I was able to feel his rough tongue. There is a lot of slobbering happening out there in the field when it's meal time!
Dad, this one's for you. Notice the name? (wrong state, but cool nonetheless)
It was another fun day, and the weather was absolutely perfect! This is such a beautiful time of year for traveling!
~Wee
2 comments:
Wish I could've been there, but it's neat to hear what you've learned!
Love, AGG
Sounds like you had a very fun day! I especially liked the windmill with the name of Fairbury on it!! That was really cool!
Love, momb
Post a Comment