Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Living History

In history, we have been studying slavery, Harriet Tubman, and Abraham Lincoln, and are on the verge of heading into the Civil War. The girls are devouring the books we have on the subject matter, and after hearing them report facts they're learning, I feel I'm the one missing out. I might just have to go back and read the books, as well.

After putting Leah down for nap time this afternoon, this is the scene I encountered upon entering the family room.
Megan Grace

So..... the above leads to this....stop #2 on the Underground Railroad. I walked up behind the girls last night: Megan dressed in street clothes, and Grace and Leah both in their prairie dresses. Megan was loaded down carrying two pillowcases, stuffed (and I mean stuffed) full of their "belongings." Leah was pushing a cart, which was just as loaded. Grace had already rounded the corner, so I didn't see what she was carrying, but I'm sure her arms were just as full. Walking up behind them, I heard Megan holler out to Grace, "Grace, help her " (Leah couldn't quite get her full cart over the thresh hold). "Grace, hurry! I hear hoof beats! They might be coming!" Maybe those hoof beats were me creeping up on them from behind, I don't know. (Didn't think I had that heavy of a foot.)
I asked: "Whatcha girls doing?"

reply: "We're slaves and we're running away."

Me again: "Where are you going?"

reply: "Canada." (of course!)

I guess I should have figured that out, because they had come out from their bedroom and "hid" under the dining room table for a spell. They were on the way to the next stop on their journey to freedom (which was our bedroom) when I happened upon them.

Tonight their play resumed. Alex was hanging up several of his shirts on the doorknob of the game/toy closet, getting ready to iron them. Noticing that the closet light was on, he promptly flipped the switch to off. This action was met with a bang on the door and a scrambling sound coming from inside the closet. He opened the doors to find this....Leah quickly said, "Shut the door; we're running away."


After a day like today, I must say that I truly hope they NEVER run away. I sure felt like a mean master!


~Wee

2 comments:

smw said...

that is adorable. :)

Jane said...

It is so obvious to me, an experienced home schooler, that your girls are learning so much and in a way that they will not soon forget. Great job teacher!!!