Today, we are remembering back one year ago, when this tree limb fell from up above and hit Alex on top of his right shoulder, breaking his clavicle and puncturing his lung. He then spent the next four nights in the hospital. The timing of all this was just 15-20 minutes after arriving at the cabin for our family vacation.

We jumped right back into the van and drove to the nearest hospital, which was just 15 minutes away. We didn't take the time, or even think about grabbing "warmer" clothes with us, but were provided heated blankets to wrap up in while waiting for Alex to have the CT scan done. I don't know if it was nerves or what, but we were freezing!

This is before the surgery to insert the chest tube and set the clavicle. It wasn't long after this picture was taken that Alex was "out" and we spent that time out in the ER lobby.

It was about midnight before Alex was admitted and settled into his room.

We spent the first full day of our vacation in the hospital. We only spent part of the next two days with him, as it was too much for the girls, and too much for him in having them there. Here the girls look on as the nurse tightens his brace.

The girls were very in tune with Daddy's pain. Here he is explaining the pain scale chart to them.

Megan took the call Wednesday morning from Alex saying he was ready to be dismissed. That was an exciting day!

Grace takes her turn in talking with Daddy on one of our many phone calls to his room.

Outside his room at the hospital, here they are ready to leave.

After arriving back at the cabin, the girls were very attentive to Daddy.

We did enjoy the rest of our week at the cabin. Alex was able to sit out and watch the girls play in the water. We even took a very
slow boat ride as a family one morning when the lake was
very calm.

Alex's brother, Tom, and his family came up for the weekend, and here he is checking out the incision site. As you can see, Alex is nicely bruised.

One last picture before driving back to Indiana.

It was a vacation we would not have chosen, but experiencing what we did that week, and the timing of it, the sovereignty of God was truly impressed upon us! It could've been a lot worse we realize, and we fully believe that God spared our family from experiencing something very tragic.
Thanks for revisiting our journey of a year ago with us today. I'll leave you with a verse that I clung to during that time.
Isaiah 41:10 Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
~Wee
2 comments:
This is the first time I have seen those pictures! Like you said it seemed bad at the time but it could have been so much worse. God loves you and He will take care of you. Love, momb
I'm so glad that all turned out ok for Alex and your family! Those times when the unexpected occurs can sure be rattling. It sounds so very like a similar experience of ours. Three years ago Bill was cut severely by a chain saw. Our summer vacation had just begun as it happened the day after Bill finished his school year. The kids' and I were with friends swimming at a local lake, when we were notified that he cut his shoulder and hand. (He had been working on cutting our yearly supply of wood.) Thankfully, all turned out ok, but if he had cut just a tad bit further, he would've lost the use of his arm. And, obviously just a bit further up would have taken his life. I am so thankful that the Lord chose to spare our preciious husbands!
Post a Comment