Friday, July 24, 2009

All the way from Texas!

I'd like to introduce my nephews: Connor is 14 years old, and
Cole is 12. They came all the way from Austin, Texas, to visit us (well, not just us, but my whole family and Tom's family that lives in Illinois). They are my sister Tess' boys, and we only see them about once a year.

On Thursday of last week, the girls and I met my parents half way to pick them up. We had a busy weekend, but it was filled with quality time together! Over the weekend, those around here that knew my sister really enjoyed seeing the boys. It has been 10 years since she passed away, so our time with her boys is special, to say the least!

Soon after we arrived home, the kids broke out the games. They played lots and lots of games. Cole even taught us some of his card tricks, so that was pretty cool.
I think the boys got tired of my photo sessions, but since we only see them once a year, I just couldn't pass up the opportunities to capture the memories digitally! This picture was taken on Leah's birthday. I just love this picture of Cole and Leah!
Having Connor and Cole here over Leah's birthday was special. Cole and the girls made her cake, then decorated it after it was frosted. Leah chose a hot air balloon for her cake this year.
Friday afternoon as we were admiring our garden (ha), we noticed all the produce that was waiting to be picked. Connor picked all my green beans, then he helped me stem them all!
Cole and the girls picked loads and loads of lettuce and peppers. I had wanted to get pictures of all they had picked, but they rushed inside, dumped the peppers into the sink and the lettuce into the bathtub and proceeded to wash the entire load. I know, you are probably thinking how gross it is that they washed the lettuce in the bathtub. Don't worry, I was about grossed out myself, but they were so proud of themselves. We did have chicken salads for lunch that day, but sadly that was all the lettuce that we kept. {sshh}The rest was thrown out; it was too bitter.{sshh} We did keep all the peppers and green beans though.
After Alex returned home from work, Connor helped him build a fire in our fire ring. That night we cooked dinner over the fire, and then celebrated Leah's birthday. Leah is showing us how old she is.
Thanks to Dad, we had fireworks to let off both Friday and Saturday nights. I gave up trying to capture them on photo because I couldn't actually enjoy their full effect behind the camera.
For a couple of hours on Saturday, Connor and Cole connected with their second cousins (Trent and Heidi's family). They enjoyed a game of football and just hanging out together. This is the whole gang.
After returning home from that, we walked to the pond to release our second tadpole-turned-frog. Remember our new pets I posted about back in April? The first frog was released on a hot day in June. This was the date chosen to release frog no. 2. You can see that Cole is so carefully carrying the frog to its new home.After Cole put the frog into the water, it just floated for a while. I thought maybe it had hurt itself when it jumped from his hands and landed on the rocks below. Well, it soon darted away, and we haven't seen it since.
The girls loved having their cousins here for a few days. They all got along so well. This picture was taken on our return trip to once again meet my parents and send the boys back with them. We miss them, but will hopefully get to see them at Christmas.
Thanks so much for coming, boys!!! We love you!!

~Wee

3 comments:

smw said...

i can only imagine how VERY special it is to have them come and spend time with you. i'm so glad you got to enjoy that!

MomB said...

Great pictures, Lorelei! I'll have to get some of them printed off for us. The boys said they had a really nice time with you all and also really enjoyed beings with Heidi's boys. Love, momb

Tom Crawford said...

Thanks for the pictures Lorelei. Julie and I are proud of the boys and the young men they are becoming. Looks like they had their sweatshirts on around the fire - they won't need those much longer; we had our 39th 100 degree day yesterday.