Saturday, August 22, 2009

Vacation 2009

How exciting that I get to feature our vacation this year on this, my 100th post! I have been blogging for a year now and want to thank each of you who have joined me along the way as we shared lessons learned and various events of our family's past year. It's been a fun experience!

******************************
After what happened on our vacation last year, I admit that the time leading up to this year's vacation (including getting off the exit, unloading the van, etc.), I was a bit anxious. We were returning back to the cabin, the same place Alex had his accident the year before, for another week of vacation. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, see my Remembering Back post of several weeks ago.

This year, after the van was unloaded and the cabin door closed behind us, I felt much more relaxed. We feel the Lord really blessed our week together as a family. We thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated the quality time we had as a family, we had perfect weather, did some new things we had never done, and revisited those "yearly" events we all enjoy doing.

Megan celebrated another birthday at the cabin, and since we were there, she chose "cabin cake" for her cake. (yellow cake, blueberries, and milk or cool whip) Since our day was so full, we actually didn't eat her cake until that night. She had the privilege of picking what we did as a family on her birthday. So, after breakfast, the first thing she did was open her presents and cards. After that, we went to a blueberry farm that is about five minutes from the cabin and picked blueberries (the first time we have ever done that, imagine that!). Yes, we ate ALL these berries in a week (actually, just five days)!
Then we drove to Ludington State Park to the Big Sable Point Lighthouse. We hiked the 2 mile trail out to the lighthouse point.And, around the last bend in the trail, here's the beautiful lighthouse. Even though it was hot, the view was so worth it!
After climbing up the 130 steps to the top of the lighthouse, we were able to walk around the rim of it. A sign on the railing read, "Your shoes are 92 feet off the ground."Instead of hiking back the way we came, we took the way of the beach. It was simply more beautiful and much cooler as the water washed over our feet as we walked barefoot on the sand. No crabbing from Leah was heard on this hike back! She had fun collecting "gems" on the shore, anything she saw of interest to her. Into a baggie they went and stayed until we made it back home. Just this week, the baggie was thrown out. (Its contents: a hair curler, a small piece of driftwood, a bottle cap, a broken piece of plastic.... )
Later that afternoon, we took a spin around the lake. Captain Megs steers the ship.Here Megan and Grace take out the sailboat. Leah went along for the ride. As you can see, it took a bit for them to coordinate their efforts, but they soon got the hang of it.Soon after, they tied a raft onto this same boat, and guess who pulled them. Yours truly. This shot, however, was when we pulled them on the raft behind the pontoon.We (or maybe I should say "I") attempted to get an "organized" family photo on the dunes of Lake Michigan. This is the FIRST photo taken, and can you tell who was NOT cooperating? Before we even had things positioned for this shot, Leah was crabbing. All I can say is, so much for the photo session....SIGH....Thursday evening we drove into Ludington. A tradition every year is going to House of Flavors and getting ice cream. Even though there are so many flavors, each of us seems to have found the one we like, and that's the flavor we stick with year after year.A yearly favorite is walking out to this Breaker Wall Lighthouse and watching the Badger (a ferry boat that crosses Lake Michigan between Ludington and Wisconsin) as it begins its journey across the lake right before sunset.On Saturday, we went back to the blueberry farm to pick berries to bring home (not all for us though). Full (from eating lots of blueberries), hot, and tired.....but happy nonetheless.The rest of the pictures are just memories captured throughout the week. Leah was much braver this year, jumping into the water all by herself.I love this shot.Berries, berries, and more berries.

Enjoying time with my girlies!

~Wee

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading about your vacation, Lore. I almost felt like I was there with you! What fun memories you all will carry with you for years to come. I hope you were all refreshed before the start of a new school year. It sure looked refreshing! And, boy do those berries look yummy!!!

smw said...

that looks so fun. i'm glad it was more relaxing than last year's vacation!!

T and M said...

what a wonderful vacay-glad you had time to relax ( :

sjb said...

Loved the pictures Lore! Blueberry picking reminded me of the fun we had doing it as kids.
Sally

MomB said...

Those blueberries look yummy! I'm glad you had a wonderful vacation. The Lighthouse adventure looks like fun. Remember going up in the light house in Daytona? Lots and lots of steps. Thanks for Dad's card. Love, momb