Friday, July 11, 2014

Taiko

Yesterday while we were at the Library for the girls' embroidery class, a summer library program overlapped our time there.  We were able to participate in a Taiko class, a form of drum playing.
Here the kids are learning to play different rhythms with their sticks.
 After Megan and Grace were done, they joined in the fun.  It was right at the time that the Taiko master was preparing to teach them a song.  She taught them one stanza of a song, which consisted of four lines, each with its own number of beats. 

The beat of the song went to the following words:

Look. at. me. play.
I can play a great big drum.
I can play the Tai. Ko.
I can play it -X- Oh yeah!



Along with the words, she also taught them to listen to the beat to keep themselves on, the proper stance for playing a Taiko drum, and the proper way to hold and play the sticks. It was fascinating and a new experience!
~Wee

No comments: