Saturday, November 1, 2008

The End of the Season

Here we are at the end of this year's soccer season. What a great season it was, too! So fun to watch! That's what I'll miss the most now that it's over -- watching these kids play so effectively together as a team. Today's game was against the green team; it ended in a tie. They had an undefeated season, opening and ending with a tie. Pre-game pep talk.
The girls really learned a lot about the game this year under Coach's leadership. He "taught" them the game -- positioning, etc., and played them according to the strengths of each one. They matured in their confidence and as players.
After the game, Coach presented each player with their trophy and shared how each one impacted the game. Below are his exact words regarding MEG and GVG (as re-captured from the video).

"I want to tell you a little bit about MEG. I don't know if we have anyone on our team that is faster than her. We weren't the biggest team, but I think our speed is what always helped us, and MEG was a real key part of that. We have a lot of fast kids and she's one of those fast kids. She scored a goal this year. She was in her best when she was mid-fielder. Good job, MEG."


"GVG is another one of the smallest kids on our team, but she's fast and she also was unafraid. She was willing to play goalie for us here toward the end of the season, which is --{addressing the parents, "I don't know, parents, if you've ever played goalie, it doesn't look like it would be that hard, but I'm no good at it because I've tried. I thought it would be easy.--"} {back to GVG, "So, whenever someone is willing to step up and take that ball coming at them full speed, which GVG had many of those happen on defense and at goalie, that takes a lot of bravery. Though she's small, yet she's mighty."

After presenting the trophies, Coach addressed the team, "I've coached here now about five years and this was by far the funnest year. I loved watching how you kids turned into a team from a bunch of individual players. That was really a delight."

Hope you were able to enjoy their season from your angle. GOOD JOB, GIRLS!!!
~Wee

4 comments:

holandjoe said...

Good Job girls.
Proud of you
Wish I could have been there, at least I got to see
one on your games.

See ya tomorrow at church

Hol

MomB said...

Wow, you two girls did an excellent job of playing soccer with a team spirit. God rewarded your hard work with several wins. It doesn't get any better than that!!! Maybe next year I can come and see one of your games. Love, momb

Anonymous said...

Loved the soccer season. Love,Megan

Anonymous said...

I sure did have a great soccer season.I hope you had a good season watching me and Megan.Loved it... Love,Grace