Thursday, February 11, 2010

Unexpected Blessings

Yesterday at lunch, Alex held a "family meeting" with the girls. The topic up for discussion was our school routine, etc. While I sat and listened (and piped my two cents in occasionally), the three of them brainstormed, took notes, and came up with a plan that they thought they'd try.

So, this morning we were off to a good start. The phone rang at 8:25 and, thinking it was my dear husband calling to let us know he had arrived safely at the office, I went ahead and picked up after the second ring. I was right, it was him. After "Good Morning" pleasantries, he said, "You know what happened?" Now, in my opinion, that is not a good way to start a conversation, especially first thing in the morning. Well, he went on to say that he had indeed safely arrived at the office (GOOD!), but was left stranded outside (BAD, VERY BAD!!). He had taken my set of keys for the van, thinking he had his set of keys for the car (and the office).

So much for starting our schedule "on time."

We agreed to meet half way and made out the meeting location. While I finished getting Leah dressed, the girls quickly packed their school stuff into bags, and we were on the road within ten minutes after the phone call. I admit that I was very annoyed at this disruption in our schedule, especially when we were getting off to a good start. The thought that "this must have happened for a reason" did occur to me, but I just didn't know for what reason that was. I turned on Star 88.3 to turn my heart to worship, rather than focusing on the frustration I was feeling at the time (and also to prevent me from continuing to "stew" over what happened).

20 minutes into our drive, Star 88.3 fades out, causing me to flip over to WBCL. I caught the Mid Morning show right as it was starting. The discussion of the day was titled, "Catch Your Breath." A catchy phrase, yes, but it described what I've been feeling to a tea ~~ rushed, busy, stressed, overwhelmed, etc. The guest speakers spoke of resting and quieting your soul so you can listen AND hear what the Lord may be saying to you. A few of the many points that ministered to me are:

1. A rushed life is not healthy physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally.
2. PRAY (Pause, Reflect, Abide, Yield)

The girls and I arrived at our meeting destination first. (I actually wished we could have driven further so as not to miss out on the conversation playing over the radio.) But since Alex was close, I didn't feel guilty leaving the van running while we sat and listened. He arrived, we switched keys, and were off again, going in opposite directions.

Heading back towards home, the Lord spoke to me, "This is what I wanted you to hear....I arranged this so you could quietly sit and listen." I am overwhelmed with God's love for me in that He knew I needed to hear that show. Because of the time of day Mid Morning is aired, I never get to tune into it. We are always in school. However, in His sovereign way, He ordained it so that I could sit, listen and hear what He was speaking to me...today.

We arrived home just after the show ended. When I flipped back over to Star 88.3, Matt Redman's song, "Blessed Be Your Name" was playing. How appropriate! I am grateful beyond words for the unexpected blessing He blessed me with this morning. Blessed be His name!

~Wee

7 comments:

sjb said...

Matt 11:28-30
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

Thanks for sharing, Lore. So glad He met you this morning. This verse has meant a lot to me in the past year.

smw said...

that's really neat, lorelei. i'm glad you got to listen.

Q said...

I love our God! He must really think you are something special:) I know I do!

Jane said...

Each day is an opportunity to see him in it!!

Jon y Amy said...

I heard the same mid-morning and it spoke to my heart as well! I was really convicted by all my "rushing".

Love,
amy

Tom Crawford said...

This is so neat, Lorelei! God is there for us no matter where we are and he always has a teaching moment for us if we are listening!! We are at Tom's and we just now got to read this post. Love you all, momb

Anonymous said...

Our God is sooo good! I'm so thankful that He cares about every detail of our lives and loves us with such infinite love. It truly is overwhelming! Thanks for sharing this, Lore!