- We were able to walk into the "drive-in" freezer and see where the apples first go when they come in from the farms.
- Next came the cleaning area where any leaves or stems are removed and where the apple's natural protection is washed away and replaced by a waxy substance.
- Once the apples have been sorted and cleaned, they travel by conveyor belts to either the "seconds" department or move on to the packaging area. The machine that sorted the "seconds" apples was fascinating to me. If the apple was too small, it fell through the holes on the grate and went into the cider bin (apples used to make cider) or into the "peelers" bin (apples used in pie fillings, etc.)
- After leaving the cleaning/sorting section, the apples travel single file to the packaging department where the machine carrying them weighs them and delivers them to the appropriate bag (by weight).
- Then we learned about the cider making process (unfortunately it was too early for cider).
Below is what the girls learned in their own words:
MEG - I saw them clean the apples. I also saw them pick apples. I learned the right way to pick an apple from the tree. I learned that if you keep the apples in the plastic bag in your fridge, that they will last for many months because the moisture stays in the bag. Even if they shrivel up, they still have their taste. The most interesting thing I saw was how they make the cider. I would like to learn more about how they graft the trees. I think I could learn about this by asking questions.
GVG - I saw them bag the apples. I also saw them clean the apples. I learned that you can have two kinds of apples growing on one tree. The tree we saw had both red and yellow apples on it (pictured below - golden delicious on top and rome on one branch at the bottom; tree is actually golden delicious). The most interesting thing I saw was how to make apple cider. I would like to learn more about apple trees and different apples. I think I could learn about this by reading books and asking questions.
Any guesses on what we did when we returned home? We made applesauce! I think the girls were more excited to do this than I was, but now that it's done, I'm very glad! They got all that we needed around and we were done in about two hours. Got 17 quarts (or as MEG said, "4 gallons and 1 quart" - can you tell what she just went over in Math?!)
Our question for you: How many apple pickers do you think they hire to pick from their 9,000 trees? Let us know your guess.
~Wee
4 comments:
This is such a cute post, Lorelei! I enjoyed the field trip a lot too. It was more interesting and educational than I expected. What type of apple did you use to make your applesause? And do you always have your kids write about their field trips? ~Kim
Oops! I just realized I misspelled applesauce! : )
Kim, Thanks. I actually copied the field trip form from our science book and had them fill it out. That's the information I used here. As far as what I used for applesauce, the gentleman gave me a mixed bushel, using three different kinds of apples. I know one was Jonathon, maybe a Golden Delicious, and I have no idea what the other one is. I guess I should've asked, but since he was one of the two that make their cider, I went with what he thought would be good without having to add sugar. Hope that helps.
The girls will have to teach me all the things I didn't know about apples!! You always have such interesting field trips! Love ya all!
Post a Comment