Right now, it's in the middle of the night. Lying there awake, I start thinking. An event that happened just last evening came to the forefront of my mind. Let me set the stage for you....
Our driveway is U-shaped. The part closest to the house is cement, the other part is gravel. My neighbor and friend came over to see if we wanted to go on a bike ride together. While the girls and I got ready to go, my friend waited and visited with AGG, who was working out by our outbuilding. Normally, when we take bike rides, we go out the cemented side of the driveway (closest to the house). This time, however, and since we were closer to that side, we went out the side with gravel.
Our neighbor caddie-corner across the road was mowing her lawn. While we waited at the end of our drive to cross over to the bike path that is across the road, she ran over something with her mower. That "something" came flying over and landed right in front of our front porch. My friend saw the object flying and said, "Man, that thing was moving!" I didn't see it; I just heard it. Didn't think much more about it as we crossed the road and proceeded on our bike ride.
Upon returning back home, the object we found laying by the front porch was a shredded baseball. MEG retrieved it from our landscape and it now rests in the garbage bin. I commented on the fact that God had been watching out for us. You see, when we usually take bike rides, we wait at the end of the cemented part of the drive, in the exact path of the flying baseball.
Still, I didn't think much more than that.
Continuing to set the stage....For those of you that don't know....When we were on vacation this year, AGG was struck by a falling tree limb at the start of a storm. He ended up spending half of our vacation in the hospital with a fractured clavicle and a collapsed lung. After that accident, I struggled with fear -- fear of falling objects, fear of "what could have happened."
Fast forward to the wee hours of this morning. I was once again struck by the fear of what could have happened had we been waiting at the end of the driveway in our normal spot. The words from a Psalm I memorized last year came back to me. Psalm 91 speaks of God's protection in the midst of danger. God doesn't promise a world free from danger, but He does promise His help whenever we face danger. Verse 4 says, "He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." Indeed, we were once again products of His hedge of protection over us. I am reminding myself that He NEVER stops watching out for us and that whatever does happen is not outside His knowledge and sovereign will.
When I get back up later this morning, I think I'll go out and retrieve the evidence as a reminder of God's protection over us. To me, it's worth digging through the smelly garbage for that visual reminder.
And so this morning, I am resting (literally and physically) under his feathered wings.
~Wee
The Year in Review -2024
1 year ago
3 comments:
Neat
Just checking to see if this works!
I too am thankful for Our God's protection. What a great Story Starter!
Post a Comment